Thursday 7 March 2013

The Headache of Timetabling...

So with the Inquiry plan set in place my next tricky obstacle has been setting up the peer observations. Due to circumstance and the time of year in relation to public exams this hasn't been a simple task in the slightest. Also as I will be focusing on one specific year 9 class, it is harder to organise due to them having less timetabled drama lessons and organising cover for teachers who will observe in particular times.

Thankfully I have had a number of supportive colleagues who have been extremely flexibile in order to make this possible. However this has made slight changes to my initial schedule of how I would use my time within this Inquiry.

Below is the observation cycle in a tabled format:


 

 

Date
Week
Period
Observed Member of Staff
Staff Member Observing
Subject & Class
Cover Required?
Friday 8th March
1
5
Participant A
Participant B
Year 9
Drama
N
Tuesday 19th March
1
1
Participant B
Participant A
Year 9
History
Y
 
 
Thursday 21st March
1
2
Participant A
Participant B
Year 9
History
Y
 
 
Friday 22nd March
1
5
Participant B
Participant A
Year 9
Drama
N


This does make a number of changes to my schedule, to show this I have ammended that aspect of my plan as seen below:



Activity
When It Will Happen
Observation 1 (History Teacher takes Drama lesson)
Friday 8th March
Observation 2 (Drama Teacher takes History lesson)
Tuesday 19th March
Observation 3 (Drama Teacher observes History lesson)
Thursday 21st March
Observation 4 (History teacher observes Drama Lesson)
Friday 22nd March
Interviews with Participants
Week Beginning Monday 25th March
Contact with advisor to discuss findings
Week Beginning Monday 25th March
Transcribing of Interviews
Week Beginning Monday 1st April
Analysis of Interviews
Week Beginning Monday 8th April
Collation of evidence to be fully completed and ready to present
Week beginning Monday 15th April

Does this seem realistic?

4 comments:

  1. hi John,

    Do you find having a schedule helps you organise your studies? How often do you revise it?

    Ahmet

    P.s. I got into Goldsmiths by the way! Must have been your help with my personal statement. Glad I blogged it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ahmet,

    Congratulations! That is excellent news, really pleased to hear. I'm on a waiting list at Middlesex so still in the dark.

    In terms of scheduling, it has definitely been useful for me in this module. In the previous two modules I started far too slowly but actually planning through my Inquiry and giving myself deadlines that link in with each other has focused me on making sure the work i done on time.

    In terms of revising it, I have mainly had to do this because of working around problems in the school such as rearranging observations due to staff availability etc. Once the observations are done it will be my responsibility to ensure tasks are completed on time.

    How are you finding the planning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good luck with Middlesex...

      it's going really well thank you. I'm just about to start my analysis, heavy stuff!!!

      Ahmet

      Delete
  3. Hi John

    Good to see you at campus last week. I found the session to be very helpful, clearing up what an Artefact is and giving me "food for thought" for progressing with my inquiry.

    I am in a similar situation with timetable issues for attending observations, as I am on maternity leave. I have had to adapt my plan slightly for this. Attending a relevant lesson at a time suited to the teacher and running my workshop during an after school enrichment session. Perhaps you have a free period when you can attend an observation? And some during after school enrichment/rehearsal time?

    See you at the next campus session.

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete