Sunday 6 January 2013


Task 6A: Tools of Professional Inquiry
In this section I am going to look at the tools of professional inquiry that are suggested within reader 6. A number of these are already methods that I come across within my current practice. So in some instances I am already engaging within them on a regular basis.

Focus Group: I am currently involved within a focus group which is labelled as a ‘learning forum’ within our school. With one eye on this inquiry I requested to be put into the forum that is focused upon ‘Behaviour Management’. The opening sessions have offered the opportunity for staff members across a broad range of subjects to offer their own experiences and potential solutions to challenging situations within a classroom. I intend to continue using this method of inquiry and using it to offer a sharper focus upon some of the questions that I hope to answer within my Inquiry.

Survey/Questionnaire: Following my conversation with a colleague detailed in Task 4C, whilst identifying my initial questions I was able to develop a form of survey that would help me gauge existing opinions on my line of inquiry.
1.  Do you teach in 

a) Practical classroom environment
b) Non-practical classroom environment
c) Both

2. How do you think Behavior Management Strategies differ between practical and classroom environments?

3. Do you feel there is any use in translating one to the other?

4. What would you say are the most common types of behavioral issues within your subject area?

5. Do you feel that there is a greater tolerance in terms of behavioral expectations in a Drama class?

6. Should there be?

7. How do you feel students perceive this?
I will try to use this survey to gauge an overall teaching perspective. Teachers who teach within a practical environment will not always be drama teachers so it will be interesting to know what other factors may impact on behaviour within a practical environment.

Observation: This is a common tool in sharing good practice within our school. I feel that this will be an essential inquiry tool for me especially as I am looking specifically at classroom behaviour and management. However, I will need to develop some kind of observation sheet to ensure that the information I am looking for is clear and apparent.    

Interview: Due to time constraints and the hectic nature of a school schedule this may prove to be a difficult tool for me to use. However, I would like to try and use this to gain a reflective reaction to an observed participant some time after a lesson has been observed.

No comments:

Post a Comment